Powered by Blogger.

3 Simple Ways to Make Healthier Choices

Along with a good majority of people, one of my goals for 2017 was to become an overall healthier person. I wanted to start working out often and especially working on my diets. In a few short months I'll be off at college and will be trying my hardest to avoid the freshman fifteen. I decided that rather then waiting until I'm actually in college to start eating healthier that I would start now. By starting to make healthier choices now it won't be as hard for me to opt for a water instead of a soda in the dining halls. 

When I decided I wanted to start making healthier choices I didn't jump into any diets or cleanses, I'm just trying to slowly bring healthier options into my daily diet. While I did stop drinking soda on January 1st (18 days in and still going strong!) I haven't made any big diet changes aside from that. I'm simply trying to make small changes in my daily habits that will slowly turn into an overall healthier lifestyle. 


pre-pack/pre-wash... Something that I've been trying to get in the habit of doing is washing and preparing fruits and veggies immediately after buying them and then placing them in tupperware containers or ziploc bags in the fridge. I find that when I open the fridge to get a snack, if I already have a bowl of washed strawberries or a bag of carrots and celery, I'm more likely to grab that instead of processed and unhealthy snacks. Another tip would be to pre-pack little bags of snacks at the beginning of the week. By having pre-made snack bags, you can grab them to go and you won't have to worry about overeating because you only have what's in the bag.

keep a pitcher of water in your fridge... One of my goals for 2017 (which you can read about here) was to drink more water. I find it hard to drink just plain water so I typically drink lemon water instead. In an effort to get myself to drink more water I purchased an inexpensive glass pitcher that I now fill up daily and add fresh lemon and lime slices to every few days. By having a pitcher of lemon water in my fridge, not only does it look really pretty (all about that aesthetic) but I find myself reaching for the pitcher of water instead of other sugary drinks. Having water readily available is one of the first steps to getting yourself to drink more water.

treats are treats... There's a reason that we refer to things as sweet treats. Treats are not meant to be consumed as a midday snack. Yes, it's important to #TreatYoSelf every so often but if you find yourself grabbing candy out of that candy bowl on your counter every time you walk by, maybe you might want to think about moving that candy bowl. By consuming sweet treats whenever we please, they no longer are treats. Treats are meant to be eaten when you really need to be treat yourself, not whenever you're hungry or just because it's readily available.



What are your tips for making healthier choices?
xoxo,