Powered by Blogger.

How I Became a Morning Person + How You Can Too!

I love early mornings. It's something about being awake before the majority of the world that I just really enjoy. I love waking up and opening my blinds to let in the natural light and the smell of freshly brewed coffee. I would consider myself a morning person now but a year ago, I never would have thought of myself as a moring person.

I used to sleep in until 10 or 11am on the weekends and while sometimes I do find myself sleeping in a bit, I hate when I wake up and feel like I've wasted away half of my day. I'm someone who is always more productive in the mornings so I made the decision to train myself to become a morning person. Last summer, I set an alarm every day. For 7:15am. I know, that's early for a student on summer break but 1) I did nanny every day so I needed to be up for that & 2) I love the feeling of being productive and mornings are when I'm able to get the most done.

If you're thinking that I just woke up at 7:15am the very first day and hopped right out of bed, you're wrong. It took me a solid two weeks to be able to get out of bed at 7:15 without hitting snooze or pushing my alarm back an additional 30 minutes. I also learned what makes me love mornings and started to incooperate those things into my daily routines. Want to learn what those things are? Keep reading below to find out!


Waking up at the same time every morning
Consistency is key. There were definitely mornings that I didn't want to get up but I still did and once I was actually up and moving around, I felt good and was glad I got up. Whatever time you chose to wake up, make sure you wake up around that same time each day. You're not going to train your body to like mornings if you wake up at 8am one day and then 10am the next day. Again, consistency is key.

Putting your alarm somewhere that requires you to actually get out of bed
I know you've probably heard this tip plenty of times before but it really does work. I sleep with my alarm right next to my bed now but when I was first starting to wake up early, I would charge my phone across my bedroom to force myself to have to get out of bed to turn off my alarm. Once your physically up and out of bed, you're so much less likely to crawl back into bed.

Opening the blinds to let in the natural sunlight
This is one of my favorite things to do each morning! I love natural light so as soon as I turn my alarm off I head over to my windows and open the blinds to let that sunshine in! Natural light puts me in a better mood so I make sure to do this as one of my first things each morning.

Playing a playlist made of my favorite feel good songs
I made a Spotify playlist filled with my favorite feel good songs that I like to play in the mornings while I'm getting ready and just waking up. Music helps me wake up and playing happy songs instantly puts me in a better mood. If you don't want to create your own playlist, you can listen to mine HERE!

Making my bed first thing & instantly feeling productive
Like I mentioned above, I love feeling productive in the mornings and making my bed is an easy way to do so right after waking up. It takes only a minute or two and I think it makes my room look so much cleaner and put together and when my room is put together, I feel more put together.

Learned to love being awake before the rest of the world
I love being awake before the majority of the world. I don't think I can really explain this but it's just something about knowing that so many people aren't up yet that makes me feel so happy. I can get so many things done without having to worry about distractions from others, my favorite coffee shops aren't too crowded yet & the world is just quiter which I love.

Being able to sit down & enjoy my coffee instead of taking it to-go as I run out the door
It's no secret that I love coffee (currently on my second cup as I write this, oops) so I loved being able to head downstairs and make myself a cup of coffee and actually be able to sit down and drink it without having to run out the door with it in a travel mug. I usually like to catch up on my social medias while I drink my coffee and sometimes I'll browse Pinterest or reply to some emails.

While I've learned to love mornings and being a morning person but I do still love sleeping in every once in a while. Mornings aren't for everyone so if it's just not your thing, there's no problem with that. To my fellow morning people, why do you love mornings?

xoxo,