Powered by Blogger.

Decluttering your Life in 2018

At the beginning of every year I always try to get my life in order and have all my stuff together. While I can honestly say that my life is not in order very often, I'm constantly trying to stay organized and keep clutter out of my life. From my email inbox to my makeup drawer, limiting clutter and keeping things organized is something I'm working on day by day. I have a few things that I do regularly that have helped me to keep the clutter in my life to a minimum so today I want to share those tips with you. 


Unsubscribe from Unwanted Emails

I noticed recently that I received so many emails from stores and companies that I don't even remember subscribing to and most of them immediately got deleted because I wasn't interested in them. I stumbled upon this app called Unroll.Me which is super helpful in helping me organize my inbox. Once you download the app, you'll log in with your email address and whenever you get new emails, they'll appear in the app. Once you have emails in the app, you'll have the option to unsubscribe or keep the message. I've unsubscribed from over 200 email subscriptions and my inbox is no longer filled with things that aren't important to me so I'm much less likely to miss something important.


Clean up your Social Feeds

When I say clean up your social feeds, I don't necessarily mean deleting your old tweets or photos (unless you want to do that) but I'm talking about cleaning up your following list. If you don't know someone you're following or aren't interested in the content they're sharing, simply unfollow them.

I did this on both my personal social media accounts and on my blog account and now that I've unfollowed all the content I don't particularly care to see in my feed, I'm seeing more of what I like in my feeds. You can also mute people on Twitter if you don't want to unfollow them but don't care to see their tweets in your timeline. The same goes for Instagram. If you don't want to see someones Instagram stories but you like the photos they post, you can mute their story simply by holding down on it and selecting the mute option.


Throw Away old Makeup 

I was SHOCKED at the amount of old makeup I had when I cleaned out my makeup drawer before leaving for college. If you can't remember the last time you used a product, you can probably toss it. I'm really working on having a very minimal makeup collection and having only the products I know I need & use. 

Not only does this make it easier to find the products I'm looking for in the morning but it also makes packing for trips easier because you won't have to decide which products to leave or take with you. I included an image below with the standard "lifetimes" of common makeup products. 


Clean your Makeup Brushes Consistently

Playing off of the tip above, it's so important to clean your makeup brushes consistently! I try my best to clean mine every Sunday evening so that they're ready for the week ahead but even I sometimes forget to do this. So much excess product and bacteria get caught up in your brushes so a big part of having clear and healthy skin is making sure you're applying your makeup with clean brushes.

Here's how I clean my brushes: I pour some baby shampoo into a bowl of warm water and swirl it around and then I'll let my brushes soak for 5-10 minutes. Then I take this fun brush cleaning tool (HERE) and rub my brushes on here to get all of the excess makeup out. I'm floored by the amount of makeup that comes out of my brushes. Then I'll shape the brushes so they dry in their normal shape and lay them to dry on a towel overnight.


Throw out Things you Don't Need

This tip is something I'm still working on myself but simply throwing out things like old receipts, product boxes, shoe boxes, and anything else that you just don't need in your life. This tip can go back to throwing out old makeup, too. If you can't think of the last time you used it, toss it. It's as simple as that. 

What tips do you have to declutter your life this year?

xoxo,